Tuesday, March 28, 2017

From "The Triplet Girl" to "The Triplet Ballerinas" (updated)

With my guest blogger on vacation and me busy working on my book, I decided to update a post from September 2016:

My triplet ballerinas are my triplet grand-daughters, Makenna, Jaeli Jo and Maysie.
 In researching what I wanted my picture book story to be about, I took inspiration from where I could find it.  So, one day, when one of the triplets leaped off the couch, the idea of ballet was born.  I started researching ballet and ballerinas and found the book, "Ballerina: A Step-by-Step Guide to Ballet", which was very informative.  I decided to have one of the triplets be the most interested in ballet and the other two girls more interested in horses to make them seem boyish.  I found the book, "For Horse-Crazy Girls Only: Everything You Want to Know About Horses", which was also very informative about horses and ponies.  Sadly, through editing, I had to cut out some scenes that didn't fit and the "leaping off the couch scene" was one of the first to go.  But, it had served its purpose anyway by giving me the idea of ballet and ballerinas.  In one of my early critiques, the horses the girls got for their birthday were called "ponies" instead of "horses".  It dawned on me then that it would probably be better to have the triplets get the smaller, more manageable, ponies for their birthday than the bigger horses so the horses became ponies in the story.  At one time, the ponies even had names:  Jamie's (Jaeli) was "Beauty", Macie's (Maysie) was "Ella", and Annie's (Makenna) was "Snow."  But, eventually, I sadly had to cut this scene too.  The real-life triplets were not happy with this since they were the ones to name their counterpart's ponies.  Beverly

Update on my book: I decided to take my book in a different direction, so  I cut out the ponies and have made it all about ballet. I also changed the character name of Jamie to Julie to make her name sound more girly.  It is truly about "triplet ballerinas" now.                      

Facebook page:  The Triplet Ballerinas

No comments:

Post a Comment