Tuesday, September 6, 2016

The Triplet Girl

My triplet ballerinas are my triplet grand-daughters, Makenna, Jaeli Jo and Maysie.  When I first set out to write a children's book, I didn't know what I should write about.  I had my trusty pen and notebook to write down ideas as they came to me.  One day, a lost dog came to the door when the grandkids were here.  I saw how excited they got as they started speculating that maybe a little boy had lost his dog or the dog had run away from home.  I was so sure I found my story even after we found out the dog had just wandered away from his hunter master.  But, as I studied the art of writing and read over and over again, "write what you know and love and what children would find interesting", my thoughts turned to my triplet grand-daughters.  So, I started writing a story based on them.  At first, my story was titled "The Triplet Girl" (yes, I know the title should come later but I needed it to guide me).  It was about two triplet girls who were tomboyish and one "triplet girl" (the main character) who was girly.  The more I started writing about these three girls, though, the more the title of the manuscript bothered me.  What "The Triplet Girl" was about wasn't very clear from the title.  Was one of the triplets a girl and two of them boys?  Was it about triplet girls or maybe even triplet boys?  And then, one day, one of the triplets jumped off the couch and an idea was born......    Beverly         Facebook page:  The Triplet Ballerinas

No comments:

Post a Comment